Volunteering with Door of Hope
Door of Hope, a project of Beyond the Streets, was initially established in London’s Spitalfields in 1994 to offer hope, support and routes out for women involved in prostitution in East London. Today, Door of Hope has a twenty-year legacy in Tower Hamlets and a long-standing commitment to providing effective services and support to women who are reported to be selling sex in the borough. We are committed to providing the reliable information and regular support that women need to find routes out of the challenging situations they face. We do this through a combination of evening outreach and ongoing follow up support.
Beyond the Streets are looking to recruit new volunteers to join the Door of Hope outreach team, working directly with women on the streets of Tower Hamlets.
We are looking for volunteers with:
• A commitment to reaching out to women involved in/affected by prostitution.
• Empathy, compassion and a non-judgemental approach.
• An ability to build trusting relationships whilst maintaining personal boundaries.
To find out more about Door of Hope and what the role of outreach volunteer involves please read the Application Pack below.
What we ask from you
- A time commitment to attend outreach once or ideally twice a month on Thursday mornings from 4.45am for an outreach session from 5am-7.45am and Friday evenings from 9:30 pm for an outreach session from 10pm – 2am.
- Availability for induction training sessions on Saturday 13th January and the evening of Thursday 18th January.
- A commitment to involve your Church where possible and applicable.
- An openness to learning and working together. Availability to attend bi monthly team meetings on a Monday or Thursday evening.
What you can expect from us
- An opportunity to work together to see an end to sexual exploitation.
- A small, friendly and supportive team.
- Volunteer induction, supervision, support and ongoing training.
- A safe volunteering environment.
If this sounds like the opportunity for you, then we’d love to hear from you. Please read through the Volunteer information pack, then complete the accompanying application form and email it to Rebecca at Beyond the Streets by 9am on 30th November 2017. If you would like more information before applying please email Rebecca, Door of Hope Co-ordinator on the email above.